Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Over the workshop pit he went!

With the motor now looking a treat and all clean, although alot more elbow grease is still needed in there as you can't get 80 years of crap off a motor in one afternoon but small steps are all that is needed and he will soon be running alot better.
So this Sunday morning I rolled Monty over the workshop truck service pit so that I could get down in there switch on the pit lights and have a good look up under him, bloody hell and what did I see.... there was 80years worth of dried baked on mud everywhere about 1/4" thick, on the diff, on the brake drums (this model was the first Chev to have 4 wheel drum brakes), right along the chassis rails everywhere, you couldn't see a nut or bolt head, and even all the linkages where like a solid blob of mud, but he did come from off a farm so I had to expect some dirt.....So straight for the big air compressor switch I walked, flicked it on, grabed the face mask, put on my hat and got back down in there where I stayed for 2 and a half hours until I emerged covered in a black, greasey, dusty film.
I got it all off and the air compressor was the way to go as once you got a bite into the mud the rest just kept breaking away to reveal everything beneath it, a dirty job but very rewarding and surprisingly very little rust once again, just mild surface rust......
Anyway another few hours of fun was had and I think Monty is now about 1/2 a ton lighter....

No comments:

Post a Comment