Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I Solved The Engine "Stumbles"

Yep I did! and to tell you the truth I am a little embarrassed to write this down but I will as this is a "warts & all" blog including stuff ups and stupid things I do to old "Monty" laid out for all to read and have a laugh with me as I fumble along with this resto and learn by my mistakes.......The only way to learn!

Basically the engine was stumbling and farting a little when revved up and this only just started to happen after I had the carby and fuel system off for a good clean out, so it came down to something that I had created, but what could it be with new spark plugs & leads, cleaned points which are in very good condition, tappets and valve clearances checked and adjusted, all the electrical joiners rubbed, cleaned and re-tightened, the "Stewart's Fuel Vac System" was all running well and no blockages........ I was starting to stand, stare and scratch the head a little to often..
Turns out the choke was not closing properly, I had tightened the choke cable/wire up just a fraction to short on the carby, causing it stay open a little which was sooting up the spark plugs quite quickly and creating the engine to stumble....

Well you should hear old Monty rev up now, just a lovely sound to the ears with all 24 horses of his 24 horse power engine in full flight, it puts a smile on my face that I have got this far and also a "thank you" must go to Trevor and Ray for their help and encouragement when it was needed... Thanks fellas.

Thanks for looking in from time to time and BTW we have had 633 lookers at the blog over the past month (Nov) and last night I was on the computer when I googled "1928 Chevrolet's", clicked on the images button and then I started to look through pages of photos of vintage cars when up came a photo of "Monty" and then a few more pages up came a photo of Dad with him laying in his hospital bed, in his PJ's smiling, giving us the "thumbs up" ....It put a smile on my face and also to know that the "old man" is keeping an eye on us.

Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment