Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

To Melbourne I Went In The Chev..

Gidday,

Below are some more photos of my first trip down to Melbourne in the old Chev and you could say that it was one of my goals all along with this resto, and more so this year, was to drive the car down to Melbourne and get a photo with it outside the legendary city landmark of "Luna Park" in the beach side suburb of St Kilda on the Port Phillip Bay

First I dropped my son Codi off at Warragul on my way down to Melbourne who was catching up with his mates and then I was back out onto the freeway for the 47mph trip west where I said out aloud "Just get me down and back safely today dad" then I sat back with the wind in my hair, sun on my face and I settled in for the 2 hour drive..

1 hour and 45 minutes later I rolled to a stop outside my brothers home in the leafy eastern suburb of Malvern where I collected Stuart and we were quickly off again under his navigation skills to find one of his local cafe spots for a bite to eat.  Nice and it hit the spot to....

After that we took the scenic trip around the suburbs and made our way over to "busy" St.Kilda and found a parking spot, I mean  "No Parking" spot and cut loose with the camera for a couple of minutes.
"Acland Street Bakery" which is located just around the corner was next on my list as I wanted to take back home 3 of their to die for meringue's for Lisa and the kids which were a family favourite in the past but I knew parking was going to be an issue as there were people and cars everywhere but when we turned right into Acland Street it was like the seas had parted, people everywhere but with a vacant spot right opposite the bakery "BINGO", I whipped Monty into it, switch him off and we both walked over to the shop.
I'm not bullshitting here folks and I kid you not but upon our return the "trendy cafe crew" had gathered around Monty and were getting a good few photos and videos taken of him in all his rustic, patina skin.
Stuart and myself just stood back across the road having a good laugh and I get rather embarrassed when I then have to walk over and jump in it as people want to take pictures and ask questions, I think my brother was rather surprised with all the attention that this old car creates when you park it in the street, it all just a bit of fun..

So with the Meringues carefully packed on the back seat, we made our way back over to Malvern, around some lovely back tree lined streets and homes where I dropped Stuart back at his home, grabbed a quick drink and then pointed the Chev in an easterly direction towards home which was 120 kms away.

All went well, no major issues with the car, yes a couple a strange noises with the clutch which I can sort out now I am back home but only just a little sunburn on the back of the neck which I can live with but a great day was had....

The old Chevy logged up another 159 miles or 260 kms today and just rolled around 11,500 miles on the speedo.

Cheers and thanks for taking an interest


Approaching Melbourne just crossing over Warrigal Road with the city skyline in the distance



Burke Road is my turn off to my brothers home

  


My brother Stuart with enjoying a coffee in Glenferry Road .


My destination "Luna Park" 



Stuart and myself




Acland Street St. Kilda





Cool Old Melbourne Tram


3 x Lovely Meringues Deliveried Home Safely


3 comments:

  1. You're one of the few people who are very lucky to own a classic! I'd love to have one myself. I'd love to do my best to maintain it and preserve its beauty. Don’t tell anyone, but I just really want to show-off. Haha!


    Sara Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love travelling just like you, i wanna visit different kinds of places that has a nice tourist spots..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Travelling in a classic car is one of the many things in my bucket list. I bet the people that you drive-by are amazed by the classic car that can still drive smoothly to Melbourne. Hehe! Anyway, I can see that you’ve maintained your car properly and I would like to commend you with that. I hope I can get a ride in your car one day, Grant! :)

    -Enoch Ross-

    ReplyDelete