Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Monty got his wings

Today I had a visit from John, a local fella & car, bike collector who loves his Chevy's, John came in, waltzed up to Monty, then pulled out of his pocket what you see below and placed in down on the engine hood, a lovely Chev radiator cap accessory that bolt's on top of the metal cap "Small Chev metal Wings"...............(I have just sat them on top for the photo without undoing the rusted nut, it's a little stubborn)






"Bloody hell John, how much do you want for that", "Don't worry about it, I've had them for 20 years or more at home in the shed,  ya dad was good to me and was always helping me out when I needed something so ya can have it, he was a good man"...what else can ya see to something like that except "Thank you very much"..

I now have the radiator cap off the car and turned upside down with some anti-rust liquid soaking the nut under the cap so that the nut and bolt will undo, after 83 yrs of splashing around in dirty radiator water it won't be coming off to quickly, but when it does I show you the end result......Thanks

UPDATE! UPDATE!.....Last night after I got home from work I went straight out to the shed,  put the radiator cap in the vise but not to tight and proceeded to undo the rusty bolt which to my surprise was coming undone nice and slowly as it had been soaking in the anti-rust for a good few hours then SNAP, the bolt broke with a clean break in half, well at least it was off now without any dramas and no damage was done to the original cap..
After a few minutes of sorting through the nuts & bolts container I came up with a suitable yet still tarnished old looking option and put it back together with the end result as pictured.....Thanks

(The bonnet does sit down nice and flush with the radiator edge, I just hadn't clipped it down tight with the 4 latches)

No comments:

Post a Comment